History

History

In 1793 Fr. Gabriel Gonzalves was the vicar of Mother of God cathedral. Of the two schools established during this period, one was for the Portuguese and the other for the Malabarees. The primary goal was to equip the children of the Christian parents employed in companies, providing them with enough of education, both physical and spiritual. Today’s St.Josephs’ Boys’ H.S.S., the true grandpa of educational institutions had been established for the Malabarees as European School. Very limited are the pieces of information regarding the school during 1793 to 1860.  The school today has two streams: the English and the Malayalam media. Very few ancestral schools like this could retain their cultural heritage, welcoming the new curricular transformations and trends.. The school is believed to have gained its composite progress under the reign of the Carmelite priests in 1861. Their administration extended from 1861  to 1878 

The Jesuits meanwhile set its mission in North Malabar and South Canara . In 1878 that the unflinching Loyolites took up the responsibility of the school from the Carmelites. Fr. A Muller.S.J  was the first Jesuit manager. The strength of the school then was about 100 students. In 1888 premetriculation  4th forum ( today’s 8th std) was appended. On 12th January 1904, the D.P.I. approved the request to begin 5th forum ( today’s 9th std).  The same year on 10th August the school got the sanction for the 10th std. In 1906 the school got recognized by Code of Regulations and became the EuropeanHigh School.. On March 15th, 1909 the school got 50% grant and thus the new school was inaugurated in 25th July 1910. It is noteworthy that the school could uphold its over all performance in education, arts and games.. The  school released its first ever magazine “ Josephite” in 1913. On 1914 a two-storied building was set up for the boarders. 

In June 1936, the new Indian school began functioning combining both the European school and St. Antony’s Middle school. In 1945 ( during the Second World War ) the 10th std got 86% result.. In 1946 Malayalam medium classes started from 1st to 4th std. On 17th November 1951, the bishop of Calicut diocese laid the foundation stone for the new building. The four rooms of the first floor were used as drill-sheds. The strength of the school then was1142.  In 1952 the new block was constructed . In 1955 Fr Varkey Pullan, the first Malayalee Jesuit, became the Head master. During the time of Fr Antony Manjil ( 1957-1961) both St.Antony’s  U.P.School and St.Joseph’s Middle School were separated . St. Joseph’s Middle school began to function at the spot opposite to T.B.Road. In June 1961 it was discussed to shift the U.PSchool from T.B.Road to St.Joseph’

 On 15th January  Fr. Pedro Aruppe. S.J.,the then Superior General of the Jesuits, visited the school and laid the foundation stone for the new building complex. In 1969 the 10th std  public exam’s result went up to 97.2%.. Fr. Thomas Anthraper S.J. during his long 12 years of administration led the school to higher and higher level of excellence in various fields. He bagged the “Best Teacher Award” of KeralaState. Fr. Joseph Kallepallil  S.J. took over the mantle from Fr Anthraper and he planned  and ably executed the grant bicentenary  celebration of the school, even bringing Mother Teresa here. Very many developmental projects sprang up during his time including the bicentenary block with a grand auditorium. The school got Higher Secondary section in 1998 with all three streams, Science, Humanities and Commerce batch. On several occasions the school got 100 result in S.S.L.C. exams and always above 95% in Plus Two exams.

In short, the school stands proudly holding its head ever higher in the centre of Calicut city attracting a vast number of students for admission in all classes. The number of students studying in the school from 5th to 12th STD is almost 2000 boys, mostly from poor economic background. The former students adorn very many important posts in all over the country. With the full hearted support and cooperation of staff, parents, alumni association and well-wishers we hope to move forward more proudly as years go by.